Archive | April, 2012

Drum studio build #6. Structural soundproofing done, get in!

20 Apr

Well, a few days ago we finally finished all the structural soundproofing and it’s actually starting to look like a room again! So, I have a new ceiling and walls (and some new muscles AND aches) filled with rockwool and covered with extra dense plasterboard. The floor was done some time ago (joists filled with rockwool, acoustic sealant between the boards and covered with soundproofing mat – remember?).

Plasterboard for drum room soundproofing finished

Plasterboarding done!

I’ve also made covers for the loft hatch and window by cutting mdf sheets to size and covering it with soundproofing mat, my idea, we’ll see if it works…..

Things are moving a bit slower now as I’m back into full swing with gigs, sessions and a bit of teaching so I’m having to fit in working on the studio around that.

At the minute we’re working on doing the jointing of the plasterboard with jointing tape and jointing compound. I’ve discovered that it’s definitely not my best skill and certainly not one I’ll be swapping my career as a drummer for! Fortunately my other half seems to be quite good at it so has been given that task ;-).

Such a fun job, not.

I’m also sorting out new web hosting for my website redesign. Wow, prices vary A LOT and I’m definitely not going to be staying with my current provider who wants to charge me 3 times what some other companies are offering!

Night off tonight, so am gonna play some Wii and get my pad together for tomorrow night’s gig with Pinstripe Suit in our monthly residency at Bar Nightjar, an awesome speakeasy style bar just off Old Street.

Advertisements

Drum studio build #5. Work, work, work.

13 Apr

Work on the studio has stopped for a few days as I’m busy tutoring on a wind band course and playing a weeks run of ‘Titanic’ the musical (the Percussion section has been demoted from the pit so I’m watching the conductor on a monitor, always joyous!).

We’ve completely finished doing the rockwool and plasterboarding the ceiling (was pretty tiring on the arms) and the wall plasterboarding is mostly done.

This weekend I’m intending to finish all the plasterboard and hopefully put up the double doors (chunky fire doors). I’ve never hung a door before, but have borrowed a mates plane in case I need it. Wish me luck!

The website redesign’s coming along nicely too and I’m starting to think about any extra bits of equipment I want in my shiny new studio, now we’re talking 🙂

Drum studio build #4, a picture says a thousand words!

7 Apr

All’s going well, but we’re absolutely exhausted, so I’ll use the pictures to speak for me (those who know me will tell you how unusual that is as I normally don’t shut up!).

We’ve done the studwork on the ceiling (time consuming to find the joists and don’t ever bother buying one of those joist detectors, waist of money!).

Ceiling

All the walls (forgot to turn the light on):

Walls

And are now chilling!

Bonus of the day – bought a site light to help us work later and have realised that it’ll be really good at helping light my drumming videos, sweet!

Drum studio build #3, nailing it so far ;-)

5 Apr

So, how is the female Online Session Drummer (with a little help from her friends) getting on with building her drum studio? So far, so good thanks! Here’s a quick rundown of the last couple of days.

We took up some strategically chosen floorboards, filled all the space between the joists with Rockwool (10mm RW3 if you’re thinking of doing it yourself!) and then put the floorboards back, replacing any dodgy ones with new ones (this all took considerably longer to do than to write….).

Floorboards up, Rockwool at the ready!

Next, and possibly the bit my back and knees appreciated least, I used acoustic sealant to fill all the gaps between the boards, joy…. and left it to dry for a bit.

Acoustic sealant

My best bit of acoustic sealant work!

Then we covered the whole floor in Soundproofing mat.

Soundproof barrier mat

Soundproofing mat

Today’s last act was to put the first bit of studwork timber round the perimeter of the floor ready to (hopefully) get the whole studwork frame done tomorrow, there, I’ve written it, we’ll see! (oh yeah, and then I’ve got a gig as well tomorrow night, should be a rest!).

I’m also in the middle of redesigning my website OnlineSessionDrums.com to hopefully coincide with the finishing of the studio, quiet times for the Brockster! Right, time to put my feet up, where’s that glass of wine?

Drum studio build #2, Fun with floors

1 Apr

So, everythings’ s been measured and ordered. Wickes.co.uk, studiospares.com and soundservice.co.uk are all several pounds better off thanks to me! Yesterday saw the first day of work. Here’s the studio before I started (note the ‘special’ colour of the walls):

Online Session Drums studio build

Studio before

Plus a special message (I’ve always wanted to graffiti a wall that I own!):

Wall graffiti

Shortly after,  I’d taken up both the laminate floor and underlay and was ready to take up the floorboards:

Floor up!

Only at this point did I realise that I actually had no idea how to get up the floorboards without damaging them, one call to a builder friend and a trip to my local DIY store later and I was sorted!

I’ll outline the next steps in my next post, so far so good, and I’m having fun (no hammer or splinter injuries to report!).

%d bloggers like this: